Monday, April 04, 2011

Religion as Lie: Gervais (1)

Next Sunday at "Atheism for Lent," we'll be watching and then discussing Ricky Gervais' (2009) film, The Invention of Lying (entry at Internet Movie Database here).


Over the next few days, I'll post some of the introductory material on Ricky Gervais that I pulled together as preparatory reading for the group.




It’s better to know the truth… My Mum only lied to me about one thing. She said that there was a God… I wish there was a God. I wish there was. It’d be great. From what I’ve heard, he’s brilliant… But you can’t believe in something you don’t. Also, if there is a God, why did he make me an atheist? That was his first mistake. Well, the talking snake was his first mistake (Ricky Gervais, on "Inside the Actors Studio," available here).


I’ve been an atheist all my life, but I always knew that if my mum asked me when she was dying if there was a heaven I’d say yes. I’d lie. I think that’s how religion started – as a good lie (Ricky Gervais, interview in Shorlist magazine, "When Shortlist Met Ricky Gervais," no longer available online)


...and thank you to God, for making me an atheist (Ricky Gervais, closing comments as host of The Golden Globes, January 16 2011, available here)

No comments: