Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Religion, Literature and Culture conference

The 2010 International Society for Religion, Literature and Culture conference, "Attending to the Other: Critical Theory and Spiritual Practice," starts at St. Catherine's College, Oxford, tomorrow, hosted by the Faculty of Theology, so I'm off to stay some (relatively) local family tonight. I'm particularly looking forward to Graham Ward's keynote, "Critical Theory and Spirituality: Restless Bedfellows," and panels on Theological Materialism and Political Theology that will both include papers on Zizek.

My paper, "How to 'Eat Well' in Church: Saying 'Yes' to the Other and Becoming Nothing in Derrida, Paul and Emerging Christian Discourse," is on Saturday afternoon, on a Modern Theology panel with some other papers that promise to explore questions that overlap with my interest in the "ecclesial" performance of contemporary theo-philosophies:

Mark Godin (Glasgow) "Situated Liturgies: A Theology of Worship Meets the Philosophy of Michele Le Doeuff."
Ben Kautzer (Durham) "When Faith Gets a Body: Sacramentality and the Order of Charity."

But I'm also looking forward to the end of the conference, when I get to see my Mum!

No comments: