Monday, November 16, 2009

Marcus Borg


The Progressive Christianity Network (Britain) are hosting a weekend conference next September (Friday 10 - Sunday 12 Sept 2010) in Edinburgh with Marcus Borg. Registration isn't open until December 1, but I imagine it'll sell out pretty quickly. Would be interesting.

Here are links to some of his books: The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon (with John Dominic Crossan); Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary; The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion to a More Authentic Contemporary Faith; Conflict, Holiness and Politics in the Teachings of Jesus; The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith; The First Christmas: What the Gospels Really Teach Us About Jesus' Birth; and The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite author!!

Rodney

Katharine Sarah Moody said...

Hi Rodney,

Knew you'd be the first to comment on this!!!

So, tell me about what of his stuff you've read?

Anonymous said...

Hello Katherine

I've read the book on Paul,the Heart of Christianity and Jesus, Uncovering the life etc....I,ve haven't read Caputos book yet.

I am currently reading a book by Paul Knitter called 'Without Buddha I could not be a Christian' as I am interested in 'dual belonging' in faith traditions esp Christianity and buddhism.....one day I could well go down that route.

all the best

Rodney

Katharine Sarah Moody said...

What was The First Paul like?

Also, the Paul Knitter book sounds interesting. My partner Sim is very attracted to both Buddhist and Christian thought and practice, so I'll have to let him know about it.

I'm using Knitter a little bit in one of my chapters, along with John Hick. They have both contributed to a "pluralist theology of religion" in which the divine/sacred/God/Ultimate/Reality/etc is "one" but interpreted by us plurally, hence the plurality of religions.

Here are the URLs to a few brief posts I've written on Hick -

http://opensourceresearch.blogspot.com/2008/11/hick-on-christianity-and-other.html

and

http://opensourceresearch.blogspot.com/2008/12/transcategorial.html